Tuesday, March 24, 2009

4. Something that surprised me



Chapter 54 page 168

"I jumped out of my window...I let go and dropped backward maybe twelve of fifteen feet through the dark air to the concrete sidewalk below, hitting something on the way down that peeled a long strip of skin off my right shin, but I didn't care."

Elizabeth was locked in her room, and when she finally awoke at 4:15a.m., and hour and fifteen minutes late to the morning prayer, the Gurugita, she decided to jump out of her window so she would not miss the ceremony. This was a surprise to me, I found it strange that making the morning prayer was worth possibly breaking something. I get that she has chosen to immerse herself in prayer during her stay in India, but this seems a bit idiotic and careless. It is spiritually uplifting that she is willing to do anything for her new found beliefs, but she sat through the prayers with a bleeding leg and did not even notice, or realize that she just jumped out of a window! Yes her spirituality could save her soul, but not protect her from injuring herself as she fell from her bedroom window.

No comments:

Post a Comment