Tuesday, March 24, 2009

2.A chapter that puzzled me


Chapter 33 page 103

In this chapter Elizabeth tries to understand Rome after seeing a high class glamorous woman strutting her stuff down the streets of Italy. She speaks with her friend Giulio and says "Rome cannot be her city and my city, too." Giulio replies with "Maybe you and Rome just have different words" (pg 103). He goes on to say that there is one word for every city, every person, every situation. The thought of describing a complex thing in a single word puzzled me. How could a city in its entirety be summed up in one word? Rome they explained to be SEX, New York to be ACHIEVE, Los Angeles to be SUCCEED, and Elizabeth's word to be SEEK. When I reflected upon this chapter I tried to label myself in one word. I found it to be an impossible task.

No comments:

Post a Comment